Women’s Running Series San Diego | Volunteer
Days til race day on Apr 11, 2015222
The Women’s Running San Diego Half Marathon is looking for great volunteers to assist us with our 2014 event.
As a volunteer, you make up the backbone of this event and each and every race participant benefits from your hard work, enthusiasm and spirit. Thank you for your interest in making the event, and the participants’ quest for the finish line, an incredible success!
Space is still available in all volunteer shifts. You may volunteer for more than one position/shift. Thank you!
Expo and Registration positions are performed at the Expo - location TBD
Thursday, February 20th: 2:00pm- 5:00pm
Friday, February 21st: 9:30am-2:30pm and 2:00pm-7:30pm
All other positions are performed on Race Day, Saturday, February 22nd from 5:00am to approx. 12:00pm at Naval Training Center (NTC) Park.
The Medical Team is dedicated to providing rapid assessment and administering acute first aid services to event participants. The team is made up of volunteers from many medical institutions within the local community. Be a part of this vital group of volunteers!
Start Line: 5:30a – 11:30a
Finish Line: 7:00a – 11:30a
Course: Shift Time Varies
Become a Volunteer Today!
Space is still available in all volunteer shifts.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Even if you are not running, you can still be a part of the fun!
- You get a free Volunteer T-Shirt!
- You get the satisfaction of helping others!
- You’ll have a great time and meet new friends!
Please read the description for the position you are interested in carefully. If you have any questions about the requirements or details of a certain position, please don’t hesitate to email sdWRSvolunteer@competitorgroup.com. Packet Pick Up and Charms Station are the only seated positions, all other positions require standing. None of the positions require heavy lifting. Race Day Volunteer roles are more physical in nature than Expo Volunteer roles.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
- Volunteers must carry a photo ID.
- Volunteers must wear their 2014 Women’s Half Marathon volunteer T-Shirts (exception – some water stop volunteers chose to wear ‘themed’ clothing).
- Dress casually and for the weather! Wear comfortable shoes.
- Do not bring cameras or other valuables with you to your assignment. The Women’s Half Marathon is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Do not bring pets, children, friends or anyone else with you as we cannot be responsible for them, they will interfere with you carrying out your responsibilities, and they will be prohibited from entering secured areas. Because of tight security measures this requirement will be strictly enforced.
- If at any time during your assignment you have a problem, notify your team captain immediately, who in turn will inform the proper authorities.
- Volunteers are required to obey the No Smoking and No Alcohol policy for the duration of their assignment.
- Be prepared for a long but fun day!
San Diego: Cheer Zones and Water Stops
The Women’s Running Series takes great pride in providing our participants with an unforgettable event. One of the most important elements of an amazing race day experience is the atmosphere on the racecourse!
We are looking for energetic groups to fill designated Cheer Zones along the racecourse. Cheer Zones have the spirit that helps motivate and inspire each participant during their 13.1-mile journey to the finish line.
Every Cheer Zone will be eligible to win the coveted “Most Spirited” Award and cash prize! Cheer Zone groups will be judged on the following criteria:
- Best Attire or Theme (costumes, uniforms, etc…)
- Décor / Signage
- Inspirational/ Motivational messages
- Cheer Volume
- Number of People (need at least 10 to qualify)
Groups of all ages are encouraged to apply to be a Cheer Zone. Dance teams, cheer squads, sports teams, academic and social clubs, youth groups, marching bands, etc. – are all welcome!
Getting involved is easy! You just need a group of at least ten members with a designated adult contact who are excited and enthusiastic about cheering the runners on to the finish line and who are available from 6:30am-11am on race day!
If your group is interested in becoming part of Women’s Running San Diego Cheer Zone, please email email@example.com.
Is your group, team, business, or organization looking for a great way to get involved in your community? Staffing a Water Stop at the Women’s Half Marathon is the perfect way to get involved in a great event where you can promote your organization and give back to a great cause in a fun, positive atmosphere. Plus, you’ll have a close up view of all the race day action!
We provide all of the water, supplies, and equipment – you supply a group of at least 20 volunteers with one volunteer designated as the captain. The captain will be the main point of contact with race staff and must be available to attend an important informational meeting that will be held in the evening a few days prior to the race. Water Stops will arrive at their designated location at 5:30am on race day to begin their set up. The race starts at 6:30am and the entire course will be closed at 11am.
Each Water Stop is encouraged to compete for the prestigious “Best Water Stop” Award. Water Stops will be judged on the following criteria:
- Best Attire/Costumes/Theme
- Water Stop Décor / Signage
- Motivational atmosphere
- Number of people (need at least 20 volunteers to qualify)
- Complete post race break down (checklist will be provided)
- Overall organization
To volunteer your group for a Water Stop, please have the designated Captain sdWRSvolunteer@competitorgroup.com. Groups will be assigned to a location preference on a first come, first served basis. There are a limited number of stops available that fill up fast, so we look forward to hearing from you soon!