Apple Surprise: diced fruit baked with a nutritious crumb topping
The surprise here is that this is so good with only the natural sugars of the fruit. If you don’t want to use sugar, choose a sweet apple, such as Honeycrisp.
Apple Surprise Dessert Recipe
- 4 cups chopped apples (or other fruit)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (optional)
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries (or other dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (or other nut)
- 2 Tbsp. ground chia seeds (or ground flaxseed)
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix chopped apples with sugar, if using, and place in a greased square or small baking dish. In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients and mix with coconut oil. Spoon topping evenly over apples. Bake for 45 minutes.