December 7 2017
Is it better for your body to run on the asphalt than on the cement sidewalk? Coach Hillary Kigar advises.
Coach Darren Brown says you should ask yourself these five questions every time you go out for a run. . .
1. Can I do this run with company? Run with someone at all times, even if it means rearranging your schedule slightly.
2. Will cars be able to see me? Stick to well-lit areas, and always wear reflective gear and a headlamp if you will be out before or after the sun.
3. Does someone know where I am? Even when you’re running in a group, it’s best to let someone else know that you’re going, where you’re going and how long they should expect you to be gone.
4. Do I have my ID on me? Always carry identification in case of emergency. Tuck your driver’s license into your pocket or invest in a bracelet that has your information and medical history.
5. Am I carrying protection? If you are running in an unfamiliar area by yourself, invest in a small can of pepper spray.