January 7 2015
Take a look at who will be on the starting line on April 20th.
According to usatf.org, Jeneba Tarmoh withdrew herself from consideration of the Olympic team for the 100 meter dash. USATF reports that Tarmoh’s agent, Kimberly Holland, sent an email at 12:37 PM EST stating the intent to withdraw. Tarmoh is quoted as saying, “I, Jeneba Tarmoh have decided to decline my 3rd place position in the 100m dash to Allyson Felix. I understand that with this decision I am no longer running the 100m dash in the Olympic Games and will be an alternate for the event. As an alternate I understand that I will be asked to run if another 100m runner decides not to for personal reasons, and/or on the 4x100m relay.”
The 2012 Track and Field Olympic Trials have us amped up and ready for the official games to begin. We can’t wait to watch running phenoms like Shalane Flanagan and Amy Hastings chase down their Olympic dreams in hopes of bringing home the bling.
One of the most notable events from the 2012 Olympic Trials will take place tonight (and we can’t wait to watch the show-down!). Sprinters Allyson Felix and Jeneba Tarmoh will race in a first-ever runoff to determine who will take the final spot on the US team for the 100 meter dash. Felix and Tarmoh finished in a dead heat tie for third place during the finals on June 23rd. Immediately following the tie, USATF officials met to determine the dead heat would be settled through a runoff or a coin toss, as decided by the athletes. Felix and Tarmoh, who are both coached by Bobby Kersee, agreed to put off making a final decision until they ran the 200 meter dash on June 30th. Felix secured an Olympic spot by winning the 200 m dash, while Tarmoh fell short by finishing in fifth place.
On Sunday, USA Track & Field (USATF) officials met with Kersee, Felix and Tarmoh to discuss the fate of the final spot on the 100 meter dash line-up. After a two hour meeting, USATF announced Felix and Tarmoh will participate in a runoff tonight at 5pm PST/8 pm EST. USATF spokesperson Jill Greer explained the much anticipated decision came one week after the dead heat in order to allow all parties enough time to make an informed decision. Greer said, “We had to consult with the athletes, their coaches, their representatives, to make sure we weren’t putting anyone at risk, but that we were also getting a resolution to it. We had to come up with a time and place that worked well.”
Tune in tonight at 5pm PST/8pm EST to watch a piece of running history!